Frequently Asked Questions
IMPORTANT! Requirements to get tested.For the safety of our staff, we only test asymptomatic individuals on site. If you have any symptoms or have been exposed to COVID-19, please call 811 immediately. You must self-isolate if you are symptomatic. To get tested on site, you must not be feeling sick. If you are feeling sick, even if it’s minor, please get tested at your local testing centre for COVID-19. You must not have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 10 days. You must not have been in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
Who needs a COVID-19 test?
- Are you travelling outside of Canada for an essential purpose?
- Are you repatriating to your home country?
- Are you travelling for business?
- Do you require testing for occupational purposes?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, please continue reading.
What are the requirements to get tested?
Rapid COVID Test MD and Bluewater Medical offer COVID-19 testing in Vancouver. To get tested, you must meet these conditions.
- You are not feeling sick. If you are feeling sick, even if it’s minor, please get tested at your local testing centre for COVID-19.
- You have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 10 days.
- You have not been in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
For on-site group testing inquiries, please contact our Key Account Manager for a custom testing package tailored to your needs.
- Use our booking website to book your appointment online, or see the alternatives below.
- Book your appointment for your travel test according to the timing required at your destination and also leaving you enough time to receive the results.
- After you book online, you will be asked to complete 2 “questionnaires”, which contain the terms and conditions, consent to use electronic communications, and additional information request.
- You will then receive a booking confirmation email with a payment link.
- You must pay for your appointment within 24 hours, or it will be cancelled.
- Please come to the clinic for your appointment time with your passport
- Once we receive your COVID-19 results, we will email you a PDF copy of the report. The test report will state your name, date of birth, gender, time the nasopharyngeal swab was taken, result of the COVID-19 test, the type of test used to detect COVID-19, and the contact information of the testing laboratory.
If you need an appointment for testing, but there are no available bookings on the day that you require it, please email us and we will help you get an appointment.
How do I book an appointment?
- Please Book Online (24/7) or email us.
- We respond to email and appointment requests on Saturdays 8:30-4:30pm.
- Please read the FAQs below before booking an appointment. To book an appoint, we need:
- Your departure time and date
- A valid passport
What is the COVID-19 test?
We offer 2 COVID-19 tests - PCR and Rapid Antigen that serves different purposes.
PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) tests are considered the gold standard when it comes to COVID-19 testing, especially for international travel. If you have ever been asked to show proof of a COVID-19 test, you will likely be required to provide results from a PCR test. The test name can vary from country to country. This test is accepted for border entry to all countries.
The rapid antigen test can be administered for individuals with or without COVID-19 symptoms. Of course, if you have any symptoms of COVID-19, please self-isolate and do not travel to our site for a test. This test involves a nasopharyngeal swab and then examining them for protein fragments specific to the COVID-19 virus. While these tests provide quick results—within 15 minutes – they are generally considered to be less accurate than PCR tests.
How is the test done?
A qualified medical professional will obtain a swab from both nostrils and possibly cheek. It is not painful. The specimen is sent to an accredited laboratory for analysis.
What is the fee for COVID-19 testing?
Pricing varies based on the test type and urgency of results. Please visit our homepage for the latest packages.
Is the test covered by the Medical Services Plan of BC (MSP) for travel or work purposes?
No. This test is not covered by the Medical Services Plan of BC (MSP) and must be paid out of pocket by the individual or employer.
Where are the specimens tested?
For PCR tests, they are couriered to an accredited laboratory in the Lower Mainland for testing. For more time-sensitive tests, they are done in-house at Bluewater Medical.
For Rapid Antigen Tests, the test will be interpreted by a medical professional either on site or at Bluewater Medical.
I need a serology test before my flight
Antibody testing for COVID-19 is also known as Serology Testing and may be required for certain travel destinations.
For Serology tests with Lifelabs, a requisition for will be provided to you as part of the service. It is the responsibility of the customer to book an appointment with Lifelabs to conduct book an appointment for the test and pay for any additional costs to Lifelabs (Lifelabs generally will charge $75 for this procedure, however the price may change over time) to conduct the test.
We do not have control as to when Lifelabs can send us their results of the serology test, for this reason it is also the responsibility of the customer to make sure the Serology test is conducted in timely manner in order for our clinic to receive the results from Lifelabs before the flight.
Where can I perform my serology test?
Certain locations will require the customer to book an appointment ahead of time. The same-day Walk-In LifeLabs location is the following:
4980 Kingsway Suite 201, Burnaby, BC V5H 2E5
- Sunday 7a.m.–12p.m.
- Monday 6:30a.m.–5p.m.
- Tuesday 6:30a.m.–5p.m.
- Wednesday 6:30a.m.–5p.m.
- Thursday 6:30a.m.–5p.m.
- Friday 6:30a.m.–5p.m.
- Saturday 6:30a.m.–2:30p.m
Will my lab result be accepted for border entry and government requirements?
Yes. The specimens are analyzed in an accredited laboratory (approved by Health Canada) and details of the test will be on your lab report.
How long will it take to get my results?
The turnaround time for specimens tested at Lifelabs is 1-2 days. Lifelabs is responsible for analyzing the samples and reporting the test results. If the lab is overwhelmed with demand, your reports could be delayed. We will send your lab report and your health certificate as soon as it is available.
How do I get my lab result and health certificate?
When the test result is available from the laboratory, we will email your lab result and health certificate, signed by a health care professional.
What if the government requires a certain document or wording on my document for border entry?
Blue Water Medical Clinic provides a health certificate and lab report that can be presented for border entry. We do not edit our health certificate with specific wording.
Will my results be emailed to me on a Sunday?
Yes. We send health certificates and lab reports seven days a week.
What if my flight or travel plans are cancelled or rescheduled?
We will reschedule your appointment specific to your new date and time of departure.
How do I cancel my appointment?
Please email us with subject: PLEASE CANCEL MY APPOINTMENT
We appreciate you notifying us.
Making an Appointment
- Please contact us.
- Please be prepared with:
- Your departure time and date
- A valid passport
We thank you for reading this information in preparation for booking your appointment.